14 May 2009

Happy May 14th

Today I am lamenting that I could just not remember at the right times of the day to call the birthday peeps on their birthdays: so here's a shout-out to some awesome blossoms: (the first of which bloomed just 6/7 weeks after me):

Kristen Kate Siguenza Hogan was born on 12 May 1985. We were bosom buddies from the beginning. Oh, how I cried when she moved out of the country. But oh, the memories of our road trip to Guatemala to see her. I love my memories with her. Even the memories I have forgotten that somehow involve me getting her into trouble? I still think she might be making that up. Not to mention countless nights sleeping in bed together. And talking til I started saying weird things in the middle of my story. She would laugh up a storm. I still love memories we make together. I still love her laugh. She won't let me sleep in her same bed anymore, but I think I'll forgive her. I love you Kristen!

The second awesome blossom bloomed on Friday-the-13th of May (1935?). But Grandpa Robert Malcom Ord has brought no such bad luck. But all the good. I love his hugs and kisses and meals with him at Wendy's. (When I was little, it used to be McDonald's. We could get anything we wanted! A child's prayer.) I also love Grandpa's laugh--I mean when he laughs so hard that his eyes shrink and water. I loved seeing this as he watched our reactions to an odd old postcard he included with a batch of photos for our family. It was a silly little 60's cartoon I think--50's? - an image of kids playing with pigs and a mother chasing after them with a broom (?) we finally looked up at him for an explanation after we couldn't figure it out and he was just dying with tears of laughter! Precious. Precious Grandpa moment I will savor forever.

Today a friend wished me a "Happy May 14th". It wasn't bad at all.

It was warmer today than yesterday.

Ben got home from work and then had to leave again to the 'new work's building' to help install insulation. He is still gone and it is late. :(

I played a scrimmage soccer game with my own intramural co-ed team because the other team didn't show up. My mini-team lost, but I enjoyed the exercise.

I drove with the windows down up to Oak Lane to deliver something and then back down Center Street to my house and then across the tracks to my family's home. I smelled the memories of Provo Summers past in those 3 neighborhoods and I am so excited to be here.

I went home to use some of Papa's salsa in making some of his signature chilmol as part of my assignment for the Nu Skin activity tomorrow. It's some quarterly meeting that also turns to an activity. Last quarter was a pinewood derby I guess. This time it's an Iron Chef competition. We feast tomorrow. What a hard job.

Speaking of paid internship, I know it's socially unacceptable to publicize financial stuff, but can I just share my excitement about payday today? In one week, I earned more than what I did in one month last semester. Oh, the quaint sense of security I feel today. :)

Mom gave me a belated 'souvenir' while I was home. For Spring break, they ventured to an SLC hotel to vacation with the kids. They got to spend some good time at Barnes & Noble (a favorite Juarez family pasttime), where she found a gift for me. I loved it. Perhaps one of the gifts I've been most excited for in a while. It was one of my favorite childhood books, A Bargain For Frances. Oh, how I love it. I love the whole Frances series, but this one might be my favorite. (It's between this one and Bread & Jam for Frances). If you have not read these, or even if you have, everyone should read this. Or come to my house & I'll read it to you. I love reading outloud.

Good night.

8 comments:

Carmen Juárez said...

(not really Carmen, just tricking you, silly)

Hey, Now you need to call me up and say, "Are you SURE about NO backsies?" Then i can pretend to be Thelma...

But surely "Bedtime" is in your top 2 Frances books, isn't it?

... "then she began to sing herself a little song... T is for Tiger, U is for"...

...It's just a moth outside your window doing its job, like my job is to get some SLEEP!

Although, i must say, i DO like the part in "Bread & Jam" when Arthur spreads out his diverse home lunch on his napkin and proceeds to take a bite of each thing in turn so it all comes out even.

...Ah... Frances books, lilacs in full bloom, great celebrations for loved ones born in May - or for 10 yrs cancer free in May, a larger paycheck, fresh salsa, Meredith's cookie recipe, MTC letters filled with Chinese characters oozing with joy, and a long needed comfy catch up call on Mom's day from WA...

the SWEET life indeed! (Made sweeter by See's dark choc - and by having endured the l o n g winter).

Goodnight, said Mother - Goodnight, said Father.

Ann said...

I'll have to check out the book!

Rebecca said...

We could SKYPE and YOU could read me your new Frances book. Sounds like heaven!

Unknown said...

Tell me about Frances sometime.

Grandpa said...

Thank you Olivia dear, you are an inspiration to me and much loved. For the record my birth year was 1925. Grandpa...

Rebecca said...

Frances is a favorite character in our home, too! I would like to hear how your tunes sound for the songs Frances sings!

Anonymous said...

Hooray for Frances. She has been in two generations of our home. Tina Jones (Ann's mom in law, Brendon's mom, MD's gma)

KH said...

Hey thanks Olive, you know I don't update my blog, but I got one when you were in England so I could keep up on all your adventures. I happen to be bored to day and googled myself and this article came up about me, so I finally read it. So sorry it's a late thank you. I loved our memories too!

WEDDING DAY PHOTOS BY MY COUSIN JORDAN JUAREZ